Scripture: Read Colossians 3:1-17.
Paul’s second “If” drives home his point. You have been supernaturally joined to Christ so that you died with Him and have been raised to life with Him. Okay, so how does this practically affect your life? Paul knows that your nurturing of this truth releases Christ’s power in your life to meet the difficulties you will face day to day.
Your sense of being in Christ grows, or not, according to how well you feed upon Christ. Jesus told His disciples, “I have food to eat that you do not know about” because they had not yet learned Jesus’ secret: drawing from His Father.
The Kingdom of God operates in the spiritual world under the authority of God. You are seated with Christ in this realm where you can tap into God’s supplies of peace, grace, wisdom, and guidance.
However, there is competition for your time and attention. Worries creep in. Fears knock at your door. Paul’s “Set your minds on things above, not on…” means you need time to give Father your first priority every morning—and throughout the day.
Paul addresses our issues head on, but notice how he prefaces this extensive “put to death” list with who we are in Christ. Then he wraps up this section with a great description of our devotional lives: “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another (and yourself) in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.” Yes, this sounds like a small group, but see how it might help you in your personal time with God.
1. Are you able to live into being raised with Christ? _____________________________________________
2. What might help you grow in your faith-identity with Christ? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
3. How are you feeding upon Christ?______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
4. Are you finding opportunities to encourage other Christians in their faith? _______________________
• Invite the Holy Spirit to fill you.
• Confess out loud, “I am a new creature in Christ, my old life has passed away and everything is new because I am in Christ.”
• Worship Him as your Savior.
• Spend some moments thanking Him for giving you what you need today.