Scripture: Follow Paul’s thoughts as you read Colossians 3:1-17.
God is just. He doesn’t just forgive your sin by fiat; rather He executed justice when He punished His Son for your sins. In Romans 3:26 Paul explains why: “So that He would be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.”
In our Colossians passage there are two key phrases that point us to the big question: How are you to experience what Jesus accomplished for you on a daily basis? The first phrase we have already examined: “Put to death….” When a sinful thought, attitude, or action shows up in my life, I put it to death by praying through Galatians 2:20. “I have been crucified with Christ; and I no longer live…. The life I now live, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.”
Paul uses other words to express the same truth when he says, “Reckon (count) yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus” (Rom. 6:11). “Put to death” is a faith exchange.
The other phrase is “Put on then,” and again the big question is, How? Let’s say that I’ve just seen my pride doing its thing. First, I identify with Christ on the cross to break the power of that sin, and I receive His forgiveness. But there is a “put on then” that needs to come next. I need humility, but how will I obtain it? I receive Christ’s humility by faith.
I pray through Romans 1:17 in order to receive Christ’s character in the place of my pride. “For in it (the gospel) the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith.” I always need the Holy Spirit to reveal this afresh and help me to receive His humility by faith.
1. What things do you need to “put to death” this morning? _______________________________________________________________________________
2. How will you do that?_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
3. What things do you need to “put on then” this morning? __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
4. How will you do that? __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
• Invite the Holy Spirit to fill you right now.
• Take any sin issue to the cross by seeing yourself with Christ on the cross.
• Receive His cleansing forgiveness.
• Receive Christ’s character for yourself by faith.