Scripture: Read Colossians 4:2-6.
In these verses Paul is summing up his time with you. Here is the opportunity to really catch his heart as he speaks over your life. Why not picture him laying hands on you as he speaks these words right into your soul.
You have been called to join Jesus in changing the world through prayer. You have been chosen by Him and placed “in Him” for the very purpose of praying God’s will into the people and situations that surround your life.
Paul knows that you, like Esther (Est. 4:14), were born for such a time as this. The call on your life is not to passivity but to vigorously “overcome evil with good” (Rom. 12:21). And right near the top of the how-to list is prayer. God uses you to pray for others, and at the same time joining Him in this ministry keeps you spiritually sharp.
I love it that Paul was recruiting people to pray for him to have those God-given opportunities to speak the gospel into open hearts. This is a glimpse into Paul’s heart. He valued those divine appointments, and he knew that behind the miracles of people coming to faith in Christ was this issue of prayer. It’s almost like Paul knows you are reading his words, catching his heart for reaching others. He is himself the master soul-winner, so listen to his admonition, “Be wise in how you relate to outsiders, making the best use of the time and opportunities. Above all watch your speech so that in all circumstances you respond graciously to each person’s questions.”
Your winsome interest in others acts like the salt that Jesus referred to, “You are the salt of the earth.”
1. Do you sense God’s call upon your life to join Him in praying for others?_____________________
2. Are you experiencing opportunities to share your faith (divine appointments)? _______________
3. What’s God teaching you with respect to both praying for the lost and finding opportunities to share your faith? __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
4. Are you, like Paul, recruiting others to pray for God to give you open doors for sharing? _____________
• Invite the Holy Spirit to fill you and use you in prayer.
• Pray for those you plan to invite to church or small group.
• Invite the Holy Spirit to fill whatever weakness you feel in your ability to witness. He likes to use our weaknesses to glorify Himself.
• Pray for your church to make disciples.